Effective January 17, 2016, the U.S. Postal Service® (USPS) will change many of its postage prices and special service offerings. The price change comes on the heels of UPS® and FedEx® rate increases, which were implemented on December 28, 2015 and January 4, 2016, respectively.
The new price changes will see the first price increase to Commercial Priority Mail in more than three years. But although the average price increase for Priority Mail is 9.8%, the overall change is approximately 3.3% when averaged over the three year period.
Some additional key highlights of the changes that will be introduced come January 17, 2016 include:
- First-Class Package Service maximum weight will increase from 12.99oz to 15.99oz for Commercial Base shippers
- Discontinued offerings: Priority Mail Express Flat Rate Box, Priority Mail Regional Rate C Box (domestic and international), Critical Mail and Critical Mail with Signature
- Standard Post will be renamed Retail Ground
- Parcel Select Non-presort will be renamed Parcel Select Ground
- Commercial Plus Pricing (CPP) discounts over Commercial Base Pricing (CBP) will be greatly reduced or in some cases altogether eliminated.
- The 14, 15 and 15.999 ounce First-Class Package Service offering, currently restricted to CPP, will be consolidated into the Commercial Base price category.
Here are a few of the postage rate changes to take place. Please keep in mind that the following values reflect averages and may differ than your actual costs.
- Priority Mail Flat Rate: prices will be increased across the board anywhere from $0.40 to $0.85 each
- Average retail price of Priority Mail will increase by 8.6% and the average retail price of Priority Mail Express will increase by 14.4%
- First-Class Package Service will increase 12.8% overall
- Standard Post Prices will be raised by an average of 10%
- International Shipping products will be increased. Some average price changes include: Global Express Guaranteed will increase 7.1%, Priority Mail International will increase 10.2%, Priority Mail Express International will increase 11.6%, and First-Class Package International Services will increase by 21.6%