When UPS or FedEx deliver a package after the guaranteed time, you are entitled to a refund credit for the shipping charges. Ground packages are also included. These GSR (guaranteed service refund) late package refunds are only provided upon request; You do not get them automatically. UPS & FedEx offer a great money-back guarantee policy on late deliveries; However, they don’t necessarily make it easy to get these refunds. With the holiday season coming up, you can definitely expect to see some changes in the money back guarantee policies with your carriers.
- Nov. 23 for shipments that are delivered within 90 minutes of the published delivery commitment time.
- Dec. 19 - Dec. 24 for shipments that are delivered on the published delivery commitment date.
- Packages tendered to FedEx Ground for delivery on the day after Thanksgiving will be scheduled for delivery on that day if the recipient business is open, but in any event, the delivery commitment will be extended to the next business day for application of the money-back guarantee.
- FedEx Ground® and FedEx Home Delivery® Nov. 28-Dec. 24, 2016. - no guarantee
UPS Air and international packages picked up or delivered within the United States are guaranteed throughout the holiday season.
Commitment times for Air and international Air packages scheduled for delivery Nov. 25, Dec. 18 - Dec. 24 and Dec. 31 will be extended as follows:
- UPS Next Day Air Early and UPS Worldwide Express Plus will be extended by 90 minutes
- All other Air and international Air services will be extended to end-of-day.
- Nov. 27 - Dec. 3 and Dec. 18 - Dec. 24. - no guarantee
We’ve created a chart based on the carriers and services for you to use so you can guarantee that your packages reach your customers by Christmas.
Historical Rates For Late/On-Time FedEx and UPS Deliveries in December
We decided to collect the data based off the historical late and on-time delivery rates for the FedEx and UPS invoices of our customers that were shipped out in December for the past three years.
- In December 2013, 18.35% were late and 81.65% arrived on time.
- In December 2014, 13.38% were late and 86.62% arrived on time.
- In December 2015, 15.55% were late and 84.45% arrived on time.
In the last three years 15% of all packages shipped in December arrived late and were eligible to receive full refund credits.
UPS and FedEx rate changes for 2017
Once the holidays are over you will start to see some changes in your shipping spend with both FedEx and UPS. Here’s what to expect:
- Daily rates for UPS® Ground service will increase an average net 4.9%.
- Daily rates for UPS Air and International services will increase an average net 4.9%.
- The Additional Handling charge will be assessed for UPS Air and International packages with the longest side exceeding 48 inches, instead of 60 inches.
- FedEx Express rates will increase by an average of 3.9% for U.S. domestic, U.S. export, and U.S. import services;
- FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery rates will increase by an average of 4.9%, with FedEx SmartPost rates also changing;
- the FedEx Express and FedEx Ground U.S. domestic dimensional weight advisor will change from 166 to 139;
- FedEx Freight rates will increase by an average of 4.9%; and
- The FedEx Freight extreme length surcharge will change from $88 to $150 and be applied to shipments 12 feet or greater compared to the prior 15 feet
This was a guest blog post by Refund Retriever. Learn more about Refund Retriever here.