By: Bethany Ramos

Facebook Icon

By now, you may have already set up a few social media profiles to increase your presence as an e-commerce business, right?

Well, what so many e-commerce business owners come to realize as they start to market in social media is that it is often harder than it seems to create long-lasting relationships, reach out to new customers, and improve your visibility. If you’re having a difficult time reaching out to customers and friends on a social media website like Facebook, there are some important guidelines for you to keep in mind to stimulate conversation without spamming.

Here are the best practices to get you started in marketing your e-commerce business through social media.

Establish Yourself as an Authority:

If you always have the concept of establishing yourself as an authority on the forefront of your mind in social media, you can do no wrong. Establishing yourself as an expert is much different than spamming potential customers. When you work to present yourself as an authority to your audience on Facebook, you will be providing valuable content, links, and informative answers in a conversation. This giving approach in social media will separate you from many other businesses using spam to reach out to their audience, and it will be easier to attract customers to you. So how is this done exactly? As a rule of thumb, only link to your own content, videos, or website roughly 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time, you must post, link to, and share relevant information within your industry. Even though this may seem like a counteractive approach, it will effectively show your audience that you ARE a true resource of relevant information online. The next time that they have a question, concern, or interest in your industry, they will turn to you, bottom line.

Stimulate Conversation:

The whole purpose of social media is to interact with other users. Is that how you are approaching Facebook as an e-commerce business? If you are only providing information and promoting your own business, you are probably turning customers off without even knowing it. Instead, you can post questions and stimulating comments within other users’ threads to legitimately contribute to the conversation. Imagine that! This will greatly separate you from other spammers by having a “giving” instead of a “getting” approach. When you give instead of trying to get recognition for your business online, customers will begin to respect you and appreciate your honesty. There is truly no more effective approach to online marketing.

Be Transparent:

Today, more and more businesses are hoping to improve their presence online through social media. If you want to have a chance of standing out from your competition, you absolutely must be transparent and genuine in all interactions. Of course, the voice that you use in social media must represent your company as well. If you are an e-commerce website that caters primarily to business professionals, then use a professional voice by all means. If you are an e-commerce website that sells fun products or even toys for kids, then you may want to use a fun and more informal voice with your audience. The point is to remember the old adage to always be yourself. Although this may seem simple when it comes to social media, the more honest, transparent, and genuine that you are with your audience, the more likely that they will be to remember you, establish a connection with you, and visit your website to purchase products and services.

So what have we learned today? As you approach your social media campaign on Facebook as an e-commerce business, the process no longer has to be intimidating. When you use the tips above, you will have the opportunity to put your best foot forward, reach out to your existing customer base, and even draw new customers to your brand. It really is that simple.

Bethany Ramos is an expert in Internet and social media marketing, and she also co-owns her own 3dcart e-commerce website, The Coffee Bump. For a great selection of Bunn coffee makers, check out Bethany Ramos' website today!